Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Dr Spock's Pregnancy Guide review

One more review. I promise i'll stop after this one. (Unless I find anything particularly out of the ordinary I suppose.)

(Again this was written on Wednesday last week)

---

Dr Spock's Pregnancy Guide by Dr Marjorie Greenfield.

This isn't by Dr Spock, but is published by the company set up in his name. I expected stillbirth to at least crop up in the index, but it didn't. Again, miscarriage appears, but takes up only a tiny percentage of the finished product. This might be partly because Greenfield states:

“I have tried to focus on the questions my patients most often ask me, and the issues to which I bring a unique perspective.”

So maybe noone asks about stillbirth and hardly anyone about miscarriage. Maybe this doctor has never had much experience with pregnancy loss. (In fact, I think this is likely to be the case; in talking about overdue babies, she says that instead of focussing on the due date women could have a more useful mantra of All babies come out, pregnancy won't last forever, there really will be a baby, which doesn't sound like the thought pattern of someone who's been close to stillbirth or neonatal death. )

And maybe she's right. Maybe even if your baby is fated to die that's still a better thought pattern to have than focussing on why your baby isn't born yet. I don't know. But that 'there really will be a baby' part... it's hard to read. Because sometimes the baby that's born doesn't live. Sometimes the baby dies before it's even born.

I can't understand how these things aren't included.

3 comments:

Illanare said...

(0)

Catherine W said...

'All babies come out, pregnancy won't last forever, there really will be a baby.'

REALLY?

B said...

thanks illanare.

catherine - it's not the mantra of someone who has known babyloss, is it?