Tuesday, 9 November 2010

i felt like i was walking to my own execution as i made my way to the early pregnancy assessment unit.

i panicked as i walked into the room. D was late and i didn't want them to do the scan before he got there. they started the initial assessment first though and he arrived only just after.

i was so terrified as she started the scan. she seemed to take forever before she told us what was happening. i was so scared the news was going to be bad.

but then...

we have a heartbeat.

(we have a heartbeat!!!!!! can you believe it?!?)

the baby's measuring 'seven plus' weeks - according to when i ovulated i should be 7+4, so that sounds good enough to me.

there's definitely only one. thank goodness.

not ectopic. not molar.

a healthy, viable pregnancy.

and things are looking good. and our chances of miscarriage are 'very low'.

---

i didn't cry until she started to show us the baby's heartbeat. i could barely see it for crying. D said it looked stronger and faster than the heartbeat we saw at the 12 week scan last time. i'm glad he was there, on so many levels.

they wouldn't give us a print out (apparently they don't at these early appointments) but they let D take a picture on his mobile.

---

we're still not telling everyone, but i think we're going to start telling a few more people.

---

i can't tell you how relieved i am. we both are.

---

even if this little one doesn't stick around, at least we got to see it.

23 comments:

car said...

B, it's lovely to hear your good news. I hope this is the first of many "successful" scans.

Merry said...

Aaaah babe :)

So happy for you.

Me too soon please!!!

Jenn said...

Oh B, I'm so thrilled for you! I've been checking all morning hoping for a positive update. What great, great news!

mare said...

I am so happy you saw the heartbeat! This is awesome news. I have been stalking your blog for an update.

Angela said...

As soon as I woke up this morning I hopped online and checked for an update. So happy you had a successful scan and got to see a heartbeat!!

Big Love, Big Acceptance - or so I say said...

So glad to hear this good news!!!!

My heart melted when we saw our baby at 9 weeks for a dating ultrasound. And I cried when I saw his/her heart fluttering away.

Angie said...

Glad everything looked good!

And just so you know, the heartbeat at 7 weeks is actually supposed to be a lot faster than it gets at 12 weeks. It only starts at late 5-6 weeks and increases by about 3 beats every day until around 9 weeks, then it starts to level out. At 6w3d, our baby's heart rate was 117, at 8w4d it was 176, then at 9 weeks it had leveled out to 153. So, it probably was faster, but that is how it's supposed to be.

Rachel said...

Great news! I'm happy you've got a healthy baby in there with a healthy heartbeat! hugs to you:)

B said...

Aw. It's so lovely that you have all been looking for an update! Thank you all so, so much.

Angie, we were told that all was well at our 12 week scan last time, but both my husband and I think the heartbeat was only about 70-80 bpm. We never queried it at the time (we never even told each other until afterwards) and noone said anything was wrong but that's way too slow. So seeing a much faster beat was really, really reassuring.

trousers said...

I'm so pleased and relieved for you, and wishing for continuing good news as the weeks pass.

This is just lovely.

cullensblessings said...

I am so very happy for you mamma.. bug hugs, encouragement and support.

Jorgelina said...

So nice to hear the good news! My thoughts are always with you *hugs*

Noelle said...

How WONDERFUL!!! Congratulations!!!!

Hope's Mama said...

Fantastic news. Relieved and happy for you. Here for you for the next 33 weeks.
xo

sarah said...

very happy for you. very, very, very.

brianna said...

Great news, B. I'm very happy for you two.

R. said...

I am really happy for you. :)

Barbara said...

Fabulous hopeful news!

xxx

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad for the three of you! You must be so so happy, long may it continue!
(At the moment, I'm myself waiting for my wife to come home with the first ultra sound picture of a 13 mm embryo... shshsh, we haven't told ANYBODY yet, that's why I'm posting anonymously - only this time)

B said...

thank you so much everyone :)
and congratulations anon! do 'come out' and let us know who you are when you're ready :)

Tears in November said...

Oh B, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL!!

Sharpiegirl said...

"even if this little one doesn't stick around, at least we got to see it. "

Isn't it amazing what infertility/loss does to us. I just found out I was pregnant for the 5th time (first 4 ended in m/c) and I was having the same thoughts about this new pregnancy.

I'm so very happy that you have a strong hb and that everything is measuring correctly!

Miss Ruby said...

"even if this little one doesn't stick around, at least we got to see it."

How very true...

Congrats.