Thursday, 2 December 2010

after all that worrying.....

the baby was fine.*

it was very still at first, and i was a little nervous - even though the sonographer could tell me straight away there was a heartbeat, and let us listen to it too.

but to get the nuchal measurement the sonographer needed the baby to move, so she got me to roll around and to bang my bottom on the bed. after that, the baby moved a lot. the thing that amazed me most was the way it span around and around. it's amazing that a tiny little creature inside me can be moving around so much but that i won't be able to feel it for weeks.

by the date i ovulated, i should have been 10+6 today. at the last scan though, the baby was measuring four days ahead of that, so i was hoping that that growth would have kept up, making me 11+3. but i was afraid that it would measure 11+4, because that's what i was when we had our 12 week scan last time around.

so of course, this baby measured 11+4 too.

but i think i'm kind of ok with that. this scan was very different. we got to hear the heartbeat, and it was definitely fast enough (not sure what the actual rate was). the nuchal measurement was good, and... there were no niggling worries for either of us from what we saw. we did mention to the sonographer how slow the heartbeat had seemed to us both last time, and she said 'yes, that doesn't sound good'. i still find it so hard to believe that noone picked up on it when we (who don't know anything about this stuff) were both concerned. we asked the sonographer so many times and in so many different ways if things really did look good. luckily she'd read my notes so she understood, and was very reassuring. and told us many different ways that yes, everything looks the way it should.

---

it's hard to know that this time last pregnancy our baby only had four days still to live. but everything feels very different this time round. i'm starting to believe that (whisper it) there might - just might - be a good chance that at the end of june, we'll be taking home a living baby.

oh, and we both preferred this hospital to the other one. so that's good too.

---

the only real problem was the consultant appointment. my midwife had referred me because she wanted me to get another scan around 15-16 weeks to stop me from going insane. but according the the all-important protocol, there is no reason for this to happen, so i ain't gonna get it. right now, i'm ok about that, but ask me again in another couple of weeks and i might well be going mental. we'll see, i guess.

ah well. i love my midwife for trying.

---


*incidentally, entirely depriving me of any opportunity to say 'i told you so', so if you could all be so kind as to not say that? i would really, really appreciate it ;) thankyouverymuch!)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi B I am really glad to hear that everything is right...I do not know what do you think about alternative medicines but I really , really feel and think that you could try using Bach Flowers, they will help you a lot with all these emotions.We do not know each other, but anyway a big hug for you. Claudia.

trousers said...

I'm just so pleased and very relieved for you, and hoping that things continue to go well xx

mare said...

Oh B, so happy to hear this. Hugs to you.

Illanare said...

(o)

sarah said...

b, so very happy to hear all of this. whispering along with you, for your baby.

Sarah*G* said...

So pleased all went well today! Much happiness coming across the Atlantic to the 3 of you! :)

Anonymous said...

Your glass is now just over half-full and may it progress to brimming over.

Funny about the first comment recommending Bach's flower rememdies.

I have wanted to mention them before. I took Rescue, for 2 months before a foot operation to enable me to walk again. It was so amazing the speed of healing afterwards that the Consultant asked me for a bottle. I gave it to him. I never saw him again and often wonder what he did with it.

I would say, google it and have a look see. No harm done.

Angela said...

Yea! So very happy all went well today, B. Much love to you and your sweet baby.

Kelly said...

What great news! I'm so relieved for you that everything went so well!

Jenn said...

Yay, B! So glad all is well. Praying for you that only good things come of this. Thinking of you. xx

Hope's Mama said...

Wonderful, reassuring news. Breathe out mama. There is another hurdle cleared.
xo

Merry said...

*bites fist*

Excellent :)

brianna said...

Excellent, B. Hoping you continue to get news and can find some peace over the next months to come.

db said...

Huge sighs of relief in these parts...